"Lightenin' Booth" by Dewayne Mynhier

"Lightenin' Booth" - Oct. 1973
Photo Courtesy of John A. Wright
My friend Dewayne Mynhier posted this bit of writing on Facebook, and I thought that many of you who aren't on there might appreciate and enjoy it as much as we all did. He gave me permission to share it, and I'm also sharing some of the comments the piece generated. I don't think he will mind if I link you to his Facebook page in case you want to join in on the conversation (or feel free to leave a comment on this blog). You can read more about Dewayne on this blog post or on his Amazon author page.

As far as the name "Lightenin' Booth" goes, I entertained the notion that perhaps it should be "Lightnin'," as my spell check keeps flagging the word, but I'm leaving it as Dewayne wrote it, as did the numerous folks who posted on his page. I didn't know "Lightenin'" myself. 

Lightenin’ Booth, From Salt Lick, KY
He was just an old black man that walked the highways.
Stopping at white folks homes to knock on their doors,
selling used furniture, record players and swing sets.
He always wore khaki pants and shirts with sweat stains.
His voice was soft; almost a whisper lost on the breezes.
He was tall and lanky with an always smile on his lips
and black gumboots upon his feet plopped against the edge of the roads
and in his long strides he covered the miles
swapping and trading with all of the folks
that never looked him straight in the eyes
Selma was no more than a twinkle back in those times
but it was the sadness that haunched his broad shoulders,
and lengthened his gait and the span of his strides.
Selma was the wetness steeped deep in darkness
Selma was the roadmap of veins
in the whites of his eyes.
I heard he died an old man in a home for the blacks
in the city of Louisville, in good old KY,
and so far from Salt Lick where he traded and lived.
Although he is gone and has been for years,
As a kid I remember that Lightenin’ smile
and those big sad eyes that held back their Selma tears.
--- M.D. Mynhier 3/6/15

Facebook comments:

I remember hearing about "Thunder" and "Lightenin"...

I was told that his dad was known as Jarfly.

I remember my mommy talking of the trade she and lightening Booth made that's where we got our swing set.

. .  . he had a brother my dad called Thunder? I suppose he lived near Louisville after leaving SL! We need older folks to get answers before we loose all the history of our little community!

. . . said his real name was Tom.

Yes, now that I see his real name as Tom I remember it was Tom. He was from Louisville. If I remember correctly the black folk who lived on the Old Road ( US60 ) were all related from the same family. I don't remember their given names but I believe 1 was called Port and the other one was Cheek. They were Razors.

His moms name was Sally

I remember him well. He traded with my dad a lot. I remember going to his house once

Oh wow I remember him .and yes he had the softest voice I've ever herd.I always tell my kids about him.

You're too young Anna, I barely remember him. He had a grocery cart some times. Traded old radios & knives when I met him.

I remember Lightenin' very well pushing his wheelbarrow up and down 60 even at times with a refrigerator in it and sitting around a coal stove at Joe Runner's store talking to him. I was always excited as a kid to get talk to him. Everyone loved Lightenin'. 

didin' t thunder get burn up in a house across the river where the old swinging bridge use be some paint explosive wat dad told me

No it was not Thunder that was burned up. That was another black man that lived around here. His name or rather nickname was Mudcat. I remember him because although he didn't have much he would on occasion give me a nickel. I was just a kid when this happened but I do remember it.


Thanks for sharing your gift with us, Dewayne!

Labels: ,