Boys and Their Cars and a Little Bit More

An "interurban" electric passenger car.  Some boys from Bethel raced one according to a newspaper clipping further down in this post.
 Photo courtesy of www.crandic.com

Often while researching I will come across newspaper items that are just too good to pass up.  So, I thought I would compile them into this one post.  Hope you enjoy them! ~Ginger

The first clipping is from the June 12, 1913 edition of the Owingsville Outlook.  You'll recognize a few of the surnames. I found this news item interesting because (for one thing) it mentions an interurban electric car.  I had to look that up, and the Wikipedia entry on "interurban" states that "The interurban is a type of electric railway with streetcar-like light electric self-propelled railcars which run within and between cities or towns. They were prevalent in the United States and Canada between 1900 and 1925 . . ."



Another wreck.  This item is from the April 7, 1921 edition of the Owingsville Outlook.  We're thinking the Denton garage would have been where Family Discount Drugs currently is located.


And another from August 8, 1910.  This is one I initially found when researching some family information.  Uncle Ruby was in the car.  Don and I love how this is worded, as if the "machine" was acting autonomously.  

Uncle Ruby didn't lose heart, though, and kept driving these "machines." What follows is a postcard from Ruby (dated 1918) to a 3 year old Burl Kincaid, Jr.  Ruby was evidently ill and at a sanitarium in Martinsville, Indiana.

It reads: "Dear Little Soldier Boy:  How are you and the white rabbit making it?  I want you to take good care of Aunt May while I'm away and we will take a ride in the Ford car when I come home." - Uncle Ruby
Switching gears (no pun intended), these clippings are about cold weather.  Both are from the February 16, 1999 edition of the Owingsville Outlook.

And finally I found this item from 1903 about medical care for the poor of Bath County.  I've always heard about folks paying doctors with chickens or eggs and the like, but I guess I never thought there would have been those who couldn't pay at all.  So, the county dealt with the issue by evidently paying a doctor to care for the "pauper poor." 

Until next time!

Labels: