A Letter from WWI in Honor of Veteran's Day

Jefferson Dawson Brother

           What follows is a letter written during WWI that Mr. Burl had kept in a box of his childhood mementos.  The "Dawson" who wrote the letter is Jefferson Dawson Brother, who was a relative (more about that here). I've checked the WWI registration cards to try to find out who Addrou Kerns is, as well as Guy and Joe Arnold. I did find an "Augustus Adrien Kerns" who I think might be the Kerns who is referred to (perhaps "Addrou" is a nickname or misspelling) , but I have had zero luck finding out who Guy and Joe Arnold might be.  From what I understand, a lot of the Pioneer Infantries were made up of Black men, so that is one clue that might lead to discovering who they are.  Of course, if any of you reading this know the answer, please leave a comment or let me know.


A few comments:




Rugendorf, Germany
2 Feb. 1919

Dear Jane:

           Well I received that nice letter of yours some few days ago and it surely was a pleasant surprise.  Burl Junior certainly does look quite military in his uniform and when I come back will try and give him a little drilling. Believe me! it wouldn't be long until he would hate the sight of that uniform.  But laying all jokes aside I was so glad to hear that you have all been well and I trust have escaped the flu.
           I came awfully near seeing Guy and Joe Arnold when we were on the front. One afternoon I was going down the road to our Reg. Headquarters and there were several squads of infantry men working the road and I asked one fellow who happened to be a Kentuckian what outfit he was in and he said Pioneer Inf.  I then asked him if he knew Guy or Joe Arnold and he said "yes" but they belonged to the Supply Co. and they were expecting him later there that afternoon.  So I waited all afternoon but never succeeded in seeing him.  Surely did hate to miss him too, because the only fellow I've seen over here that I know except those in our outfit was Addrou Kerns  from Sharpsburg. Wrote Willie [164 Inf] a card some time ago but I wasn't sure of his outfit and of course don't know whether he got it or not.
          Tell Cousin Henry that I still talk plain USA and haven't acquired any brogue as expected.  Give my regards to all the folks and let me hear from you again sometime.  Dawson

          We hope you enjoy this letter.  I confess I have romanticized it a great deal and even have plans to frame and hang it.  I just imagine the horrors of war he must have seen while on the front, and yet he still finds time to send a nice letter home, keeping the terrible things to himself.  To me that speaks of a genteel masculinity that seems to be quickly disappearing and one that we are sorely in need of.  Also, it is obvious that he misses home, so let it act as a reminder to all of us on this Veteran's Day of the sacrifices that all who serve make on our behalf.  From our family to yours, Happy Veterans Day and God bless all who serve. ~ Ginger





Labels: ,